Willamina Walkout

Back to Article
Back to Article

Willamina Walkout

Freshman Sophia Stewarts Instagram story helps spread the word of the walkout.

Photo provided by: Sophia Stewart

Photo provided by: Sophia Stewart

Photo provided by: Sophia Stewart

Hannah McCallister, Web Chief

March 14th marks a month since the school shooting at Parkland in Florida. As the country continues to mourn students everywhere are preparing to make change. Nationally a walkout is to take place in schools in respect for the 17 lives lost at the shooting, these walkouts are non political  and are strictly ceremonial. The activities in these walkouts range, some schools will be walking out and gathering in public places or on school property where they will respect 17 minutes of silence with some sort of ceremonial activity such as reading of the names each minute describing who they were or just being silent.

Meanwhile in Willamina students are doing multiple things to show respect to the lives lost. Some students will be following the path of leaving their class rooms as the join in the outside commons to take the 17 minutes and have the names of the students read off. While multiple students attended the board meeting just two days prior to the 14th to discuss their plan and get an understanding of the rules and rights they have as students. “On March 14th I am walking out for the 17 victims, I know what you’re thinking. Walkouts don’t accomplish anything, but think about this, if 100 kids from each state that makes 5,000 students standing up for what they believe in which is more than what most adults are doing” said freshman Maleia Clemmer.

“If 100 kids from each state that makes 5,000 students standing up for what they believe in which is more than what most adults are doing”

While other students have produced alternatives to leaving the classrooms and facing the possibility of punishment. Teens from leadership have came up with the idea to do a voluntary assembly at 10 am for students to mourn as they need to in remembrance of the lives lost and this will help allow students to cope in the ways they need. This assembly will also have the 17 moments of silence with the names being called by senior Kaylene Barry. This assembly will also have an anti-bullying section that will work on promoting acts of kindness from one bulldog to another.

Senior David Elwoods thoughts on promoting the assembly.