Why our easily offendable society is problematic.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emma Nolan, Editor-in-Chief

I hate being that person.

The one that always has to shrug ‘so what?’ when people are ranting about makeup ads that make fun of suicide or offensive school mascots. I generally try to be a nice person. I hold the door open for strangers and cut up plastic straws so they don’t kills sea turtles. However, living in a world surrounded by social justice warriors has started to turn me into somewhat of a jerk.

This side of my ideology and to some degree my personality has come up several times during the month and poked a fire that has been smoldering within me for sometime as the social justice movement continues to gain traction in our nation.

As a journalist, freedom of expression is at the core of my beliefs and has changed not only how I look at my political ideology but also the role of social activism in our society. So, when I learned that an Oregon school district was changing its racist mascot to the tune of $200,000 I was not only mortified but also angry.

All of these situations, where brands are blasted on social media for offensive ads, Confederate statues are torn down, further solidify that our society is pandering and hyper sensitive.

I’m not saying that the ‘razor sharp’ eyeliner ad isn’t distasteful. Nor am I saying that the confederate statues or racist mascot haven’t served as a symbol of oppression for many Americans.

What I am saying is that as a nation there are so many more pertinent issues that we should be focusing on. It’s not that I don’t care about the suffering of slaves and Native Americans. However, I care about people who are suffering now much more.

Instead of focusing on an offensive advertisement why can’t we put our energy into make-up tested on animals or create a campaign to help people who are struggling with mental illness within the United States. Why aren’t we spending that $200,000 on reinvigorating Oregon’s failing education system instead of re-painting a high school mascot.