Local vending machine incites controversy

The vending machine in the Freshman commons is a staple of student life, but for how long?

Back to Article
Back to Article

"And now, look. It's stuck." Student laments as his soda becomes trapped in the machine.

Cameron VandenBerg

Cameron VandenBerg

Cameron VandenBerg

“I don’t know why we spent money on new vending machines,” said a local student, “When there’s more important stuff we could be spending money on instead.”

The vending machine in the freshman commons is a staple of daily school life, so much so that students range from spending five dollars per month to a whole $20. Yet, despite such prestige and common use, it’s not been shy from the voice of the student body.

“It needs less Diet soda.” Jackson Schoenbachler had to say, “And more soda with actual sugar.”

Jackson Schoenbachler hugs the vending machine and expresses his love for dispensed beverages.

Schoenbachler shows his love for vending machines. “I feel amazing.” He reported.rink.

Even though the students do not like the selection of drinks that are available for purchase at the mechanical vendor, it’s still a necessity for the school. Proven evidently by Schoenbachler going from person to person asking for the necessary amount of money for his drink.

Not only that, but the machines are faulty. During an interview, Tyler (shown above) was stricken by the fate least desirable by any vending machine connoisseur- it getting stuck.

After many trials, he finally released the beverage from its mechanical prison, though the problem still remains- if the students don’t like the machines, why do the students still use them so frequently? Schoenbachler summed it up perfectly: “It’s fresh, sweet, and convenient.”